Let me just tell you. Lemon poppyseed muffins are my weakness. Always have been, always will be. But’s that’s okay because I’ve learned to accept it.
These muffins just taste like summer to me – bright and fresh with a nice lemony zing that will brighten your day instantly.
Extra bonus? Not only are they delicious, but they are healthy at the same time! Let’s be honest that it doesn’t get better than that!
Just whip together a few staple ingredients, pour into your baking tin, and get ready to enjoy some serious lemon poppyseed. They have a beautiful muffin-like texture while still retaining a light and fluffy crumb. The sweetness is spot on – not too much, but enough to make it taste like a treat. I could literally go on for hours about these, can you tell?
Slather on a little butter and you are set. Or just eat them just as they are, they are divine that way too.
Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice (or 2 full lemons) + zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 5 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until mixed.
- Combine all dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients. Stir only until the flour is fully incorporated into the liquid. DO NOT OVERMIX
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffins cups, filling about 3/4 of the way full. Batter will be thick, this is okay!
- Bake for 16-19 minutes or until tops are golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Allow muffins to cool completely on a baking rack.
Recipe adapted from Cookie & Kate.